Medication Therapy Management Program (MTMP)
What is the Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program?
The MTM Program was designed to help MVPs Medicare members who have complex health concerns or use multiple medications to treat chronic conditions get the most from their prescription drug benefit. This program is available at no cost to MVP Medicare Part D members.
MTMP is a feature of MVP Health Care Part D prescription drug coverage. The program is for qualified members who meet the following criteria:
Have multiple chronic diseases such as osteoporosis, chronic heart failure, dyslipidemia, hypertension, diabetes, depression, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Take multiple Part D medications as determined by our Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) in conjunction with the MVP Health Care Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Are likely to incur annual costs for covered Part D drugs that exceed $3,919
Members who qualify for MTMP will receive a phone call inviting them to take part and a letter about the program in the mail. If you do not meet the criteria above but are interested participating in the program, email RxAdvisor@mvphealthcare.com or call 1-866-942-7754, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm Eastern Time.
MTMP is a free service for eligible beneficiaries and is not a benefit. Members who qualify are encouraged to participate.
What will I receive as part of MTMP?
Members who take part will receive:
- A full medication review with a specially trained pharmacist by phone, which will take 10-15 minutes to complete
- A chance to meet one on one with a pharmacist through MVPs Medication Review Program
- A written summary of your medication review that includes an action plan for you to discuss with your doctor
- A Personal Medication List of all your drugs and why you take them. You can also print and complete the Personal Medication List yourself. Keep this list with you for doctor visits or emergencies.
- A medication review at least every 3 months. You or your doctor may receive a follow-up letter or a phone call about any new recommendations from the pharmacist.
Why is MTMP important?
MTMP helps identify potential errors and gaps in your care. The program:
- Helps reduce the risk of medication errors, especially if you have chronic conditions, take several medications or see multiple doctors and other health care providers;
- Provides current information on proven medical practices to help you and your doctor determine the most effective treatment;
- Helps you understand your condition and medications, so you can take an active role in managing your health.
What are the benefits of MTMP for me?
MVP Health Care pharmacists may call you to:
- Help you understand your condition and the prescriptions you take
- Discuss whether your medications are right for you
- Ensure you are taking your prescriptions according to your doctor's directions
- Check for drug interactions between your medications, including over-the counter drugs and supplements
- Identify possible cost savings
- Send you additional educational material in the mail
We will also contact your doctor about any potential drug interactions or therapy duplications that are found.
Taking part in MTMP participation may help improve your overall health and reduce your risk for serious medication reactions, hospitalization and emergency room visits.
For more information about MTMP, call MVP at 1-866-942-7754, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm Eastern Time. Or call MVP's Medicare Customer Care Center, 1-800-665-7924 (TTY: 1-800-662-1220). Representatives are available Monday - Friday, 8 am to 8 pm. From October 1 - February 14, call seven days a week from 8 am - 8 pm.
If you would like a copy of any of the materials used in the MTM program, call MVPs Medicare Customer Care Center at 1-800-665-7924 (TTY: 1-800-662-1220).
Last updated: October 2016